In exactly one month I will be celebrating a milestone birthday, the big Three-Oh, and unsurprisingly I am completely freaked out! I felt exactly this way when I was turning 20 (and now I think, awww how cute, that I was actually worried about turning 20!), when I realized I’ll never be a teen ever again, and THAT was a decade ago. Where does the time go?
Milestone birthdays always give me a bittersweet feeling, it makes me feel like time is passing me by so quickly, even though it happens one day at a time, and I always countdown big events, it still manages to catch me by surprise and I can’t help but wonder how I got here.
Anyway, after the surprise (shock) has subsided, I generally tend to feel a little sad that perhaps some of the most fun moments are behind me, but I hope to heaven that I’m wrong and whats coming is way better than what I’ve left behind. After all life is about moving forward, even if we do sometimes look back just to reminisce for a little while.
Nonetheless, my 20s have been (and still is for another month) a very memorable decade, so many firsts, so many memories made, so many epiphanies, its been wonderful so far, and as I sit here making plans for the coming month, I can’t help but think of some of my favorite moments of the last decade.
In my 20s, I –
- learnt how to drive;
- got my first tattoo;
- met my Best friend/sister in law school – I don’t know what I’d do without her;
- graduated from Law School;
- got my first job;
- had my BIG heartbreak, and survived it;
- re-connected with my other best friend, after almost 10 years (or more) of having lost touch – and boy am I blessed to have met him again;
- reconnected with many many old friends;
- drove in my first TSD car rally and won;
- battled with numerous insecurities and overcame most of them;
- did my first bungee jump;
- drove a tractor;
- started this blog – my own little corner of the internet, which gives me so much joy;
- tried my hand at teaching – a lifelong dream;
- finally learnt to swim;
- solo-traveled for the first time, don’t get what the fuss is all about, I enjoy travelling with loved ones more;
- learnt some pretty major “life-lessons”;
- started to actually enjoy good White Wines – and even have a favorite one;
- started painting more, and I realized I love it – maybe this will turn into something more substantial someday, only time will tell;
- learnt to crochet – and now making a scarf for myself;
- dealt with chronic back pain, and realized the biggest thing needed for recovery is TLC;
- learnt that I can perform miracles when I am kinder to myself, and forgave myself for all the times I wasn’t; and
- finally fell in love with myself – and started my life long romance..
I’m sure there are many more of my favorite highlights of the last decade and numerous “full-circle” moments, but for now this is a pretty good list!
I am looking forward to the next month to cherish these last few days of being a 20-something, I obviously intend to make the most of it.
Life sure is full of surprises, ten years ago I would’ve never believed this would be my life, and despite all the challenging moments, I would never change anything. I get to wake up as me, and that is pretty spectacular.
Until next time, embrace your life. This day will never happen again, make the most of it.